Bitmapfill based tile scrolling
This post shows a more elaborate prototype of a bitmap fill based tile scrolling approach in ActionScript 3 using Tiled and the parser from Pixelpracht to parse the maps. The graphics are from the original Gods game on this page.
Some features demoed:
- bitmapfill based fluid scrolling without a backing store (saves a lot of time)
- parallax scrolling with a single tile layer (so the background parallax is only rendered at the spots it has to show)
- fluid performance on fullscreen / iOs
- the fact that it’s bitmap fills makes it easy to transform the mesh being painted, meaning that environment transformations (eg blastwaves with rolling ground stones) are fairly easy to implement without the CPU overhead that a displacementmap for example would incur.
- nice character effects such as flames/ices for powerups
PRESS ALLOW IN THE TOP CENTER WHEN GOING FULLSCREEN OR JUMPING ETC WONT WORK